A Journey Of Academic Writing

I think I downplayed just how strenuous a process it would be to come up with a research topic as even before starting my degree, I knew I wanted to specialize in Human Rights Law so to be here, a few years later, stuck on the topic I'll be doing for my research was not only embarrassing but really confusing as well. I am excited to announce that after sending endless emails to my lecturer, often at odd times, I have finally managed to come up with a research topic that not only makes academic sense but also speaks to the true reason I decided to pursue a degree in Law.


I've never been an individual that sticks to doing one thing at a time, if I were to self-diagnose, I'd say I have ADHD but we're not there, at least not yet. I'm halfway through my degree and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I've enjoyed parts of the law I've never an interest in before i.e. Criminal Law and Labour Law but that's what life is about, right? Finding, as you go along, what you like and what you don't like. You get exposed to a whole new world you often even didn't know exists.


I'm blabbering, back to my topic. I've settled for something that is multidisciplinary, I will be writing about something that covers Maritime Law, International Trade Law and International Human Rights Law. A year ago, I didn't even know I'd even have an interest in Maritime Law but again, that is what life is about and that is what I am choosing to make my career about: exploring and finding what works and what doesn't.


Here is to spending endless more nights glued to and typing away at my laptop screen, paging through numerous books that aren't at all related to what I'll be researching about but will somehow answer some of the pressing questions I have. Oh and it would be a near sin to forget the number of coffee cups I'll be making with my dog starry eyed in the background, confused by the random exclamations of "oh, yes, this is perfect for my research!". I've officially taken the first step in this long walk to a dissertation!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this so much and as I read I am reminded of my own challenges I faced with my dissertation. But also the beauty of all that process, to come out at the end with a beautifully written research that not only speaks to how you think, read and write, but also speaks to your passions.

    Wishing you all the best with your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly for these words. I've found it important to run to those who have walked this path whenever I hit a deadlock in this journey of writing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why South Africans Want The EFF To Fight Their Battles But Won’t Put It Into Power: A Commentary

South Africa's Quiet Diplomacy In The Zimbabwean Crisis: An Analysis More Than Two Decades Later